The Centre intégré de Santé et de Services sociaux (CISSS, formerly the youth centers) of each region are responsible for the recognition of foster resources in Quebec. Want to dedicate time and energy to a child or teenager? You are able to give him tenderness, attention and care according to the child’s condition? You can offer a stable, soothing, safe and stimulating environment in a short, medium or long term? Are you ready to collaborate with the child's natural parents? If you answered yes to these questions and would like to go further in the process, you must begin by submitting an application to the CIUSSS / CISSS Resource Accreditation Program in your area.
First, in order to verify that your project is feasible, the evaluation service of this program will generally take the following steps:
- Assessment of your capabilities and abilities;
- Drawing up your portrait on several aspects, especially concerning your family dynamics;
- Defining the characteristics of the children you can accommodate;
- Verification of your criminal record;
- Visit your home or dwelling to ensure that it meets physical standards.
The following aspects will be considered:
- Will the child be welcomed by a single person, a couple or a family?
- Do you have the physical space to accommodate a child? Does your living environment meet certain standards of safety, hygiene and comfort?
- Will you be able to consider the child entrusted to you has a member of your family?
- Do you believe in the potential of the child to develop physically and intellectually?
If your project is accepted, the following services may be offered to you:
- Documentation and training to better understand the child's situation and difficulties;
- Support and advice during periodic meetings with the facilitator-child support;
- Support during meetings between the child and his / her natural family;
- Access to a non-taxable financial remuneration to cover the expenses of each child entrusted to you.
Each institution must specify in its recruitment program the steps to follow to become a foster family, the information to send to the applicants and the information that they must provide to the institution. You can visit the CIUSSS / CISSS website that concerns you to see the details of the recruitment.
The information gathered should help to select candidates who can ensure the interests and rights of the users and their families. They must also help to achieve the purpose of the placement, while respecting the people who offer their services.
To begin the process to become a foster family, here is the link for each region: